5 facts you might not know about Rizzoli & Isles

By: Start TV Staff    Posted: January 13, 2022, 11:30AM

Image sources: Everett Collection

One is brash and to the point and the other might have an easier time around dead bodies than live ones. Despite their differences, both Detective Jane Rizzoli and Medical Examiner Maura Isles become an unstoppable crime-busting duo and best friends.

But before watching them take on Boston's most wanted, you might want to get more familiar with these facts you might not have known about Rizzoli & Isles.

The Show is Based on a Crime Novel Series

The TV series follows and draws inspiration from the Rizzoli & Isles crime series books written by Tess Gerritsen. The primary books of inspiration for the show are the first two in the collection, The Surgeon and The Apprentice. In the book series, Jane Rizzoli is the main protagonist in the first entry, which is followed by Dr. Maura Isles introduction in the second book, The Apprentice. From then on, the book series follows both Rizzoli & Isles.

Usher was Almost Cast in the Series

The showrunner for the series, Janet Tamaro, originally picked famed singer and songwriter Usher Raymond for the role of Detective Barry Frost — which he declined. Tamaro had other original picks for series leads such as Winona Ryder as Dr. Maura Isles and Ashley Judd for Jane Rizzoli.

Korsak Almost had a Boston Accent

With the series set in Boston, many of the characters introduced hold "Bostonian" accents whenever they talk or with a few select words and phrases. Detective Vince Korsak has a Boston accent for only the pilot episode, "See One, Do One, Teach One," which he then drops for the remainder of the series.

The Premiere Broke Cable TV Records

The premiere of the series in 2010 lured 7.6 million viewers — which was the highest amount for a commercial-supported cable series at the time.

The Episode Titles are Named After Songs

With a few exceptions in the earlier seasons, Rizzoli & Isles episode names follow a pattern of being named after popular songs that either relate with the crime or story of the episode. Such episodes like "Rebel Without a Pause," named after the Public Enemy song, and "No One Mourns the Wicked" from the Wicked musical.

Watch Rizzoli & Isles on Start TV

EVERY DAY AT 5 PM & 10 PM EASTERN / PACIFIC

Trac3y 28 days ago
Read the books in prison. Great job in casting the characters.
LaWanda 6 months ago
I really love this show. I even got my husband hook on it. I watch it every day at 4p & 9p central time. I hope they never take it off TV.
Lillian 6 months ago
I was sooooooooooo sad when Lee Thompson Young (Barry Frost) had committed suicide in real life. To see him on the show, he was a great actor to show no signs of depression. He was such a handsome young man. As far as his acting on the show, I'm sure no one saw that coming. You really have to watch your love one close because you just never know.
peacelady44 6 months ago
My favorite show. I love all of the characters. They are perfect for their roles. I miss Barry Frost. Lynn
David 6 months ago
LOVE RIZZOL:I AND ISLES! Great story-lines
and character interactions.. If I'm awake, I can watch them twice/day.
gdporterfield 15 months ago
If I remember correctly, Usher appeared on a soap opera called "The Bold And The Beautiful" using the name Usher Raymond.
Clifford 16 months ago
I couldn't see Usher as Frost because I have seen Usher acting, he can't. So sad about the actor who played Frost.
Donna 17 months ago
Funny, the show is set in Boston and no one has a Boston accent !!!!!

DebbieSteward 19 months ago
I wish you had started with the 1st episode Iwas so glad you brought this show to your lineup. Please consider bringing Castle to your lineup.
JamesMason 19 months ago
love this show! so happy to see them on starttv! now if you can get the series "castle " that would be perfection.
Donna AngelaOlson769012 17 months ago
That would be great !!!! The re-runs are on Sunday night AT 12:30 A/M Just cant stay awake that late !!!!